Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Donde esta el wifi? Barcelona Part 1

Okay it has been a long time since I blogged because Barcelona was just so epic!! I was overwhelmed at the prospect of capturing the experience in a blog post. It could be a short story! I've decided to divide it up, per the advice of Samantha Nania. Also Zachary Kitt's surly comments have proved motivational as well.

So here is Part 1 of my trip to Barcelona:

A few weeks ago I went to Barcelona with a California friend Jeremy, who just so happens to be studying abroad this semester in Salamanca.

At first I was incredibly nervous since I don't speak any spanish and Jeremy has the spanish competency of a 2 year old (his words, not mine), but it actually ended up not being a problem at all.

This trip was one hell of an adventure, i'll start at the beginning.

I departed Thursday. I flew the notoriously cheap airline, Ryanair. They have low airfare prices but they make up for it with all of their easily accumulated fees. I didn't check in online 4 hours prior to my flight (missed it by literally 15 minutes), something that i didn't know i had to do, so when I got to the airport I had to pay a whopping €60 fee to check in.


Ryanair service is astoundingly bad. I was shocked to find that I couldn't get water on the plane without paying for it.

What's really funny though is that whenever a ryanair plane lands, they sound the trumpets....


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGjj9wfzJdM

meaning that ^ plays over the loud speaker, quite loudly.


Once in Barca I headed to my hostel, which was....decent but not great. I pretty much dropped off my stuff there and then went out looking for food, hoping to spend time not in the hostel.

I stumbled upon a vegan bar/restaurant called the catbar. This place was awesome! I was astounded by their prices, very cheap especially for vegan food.

The food I got was absolutely delicious, and I decided to get a girly, blended drink. When I asked the bartender for suggestions she suggested a smoothie. I chose a shot of rum as my liquor choice and she blended it up. As she handed it to me, the owner/other bartender grabbed a bottle of vodka and poured about 2 shots into my smoothie. As he was doing it she said

"no I already put the alcohol in..."

to which he replied,

"noo you always put the alcohol in last"

as he continued to pour.

basically, that guy kicked ass.

After drinking my smoothie and eating my food I decided to head back to the hostel as I'd have to wake up early the next day to greet Jeremy.

And, after a horrible night's sleep, that's exactly what I did!

On Friday morning Jeremy met me at the hostel and we started wandering around Barcelona.

 We saw a lot of amazing stuff, from old, gothic cathedrals, beautiful parks to awesome graffiti, Barcelona really is overwhelmingly beautiful.


At this point we didn't know where we were going to be sleeping that night (or any of the following nights) and so we had our luggage in tow. The result of this was that the whole day we felt homeless.

For Jeremy the breaking point was when he ate an orange, the amount of trash produced by the peel made him feel especially homeless for some reason. My breaking point came after the fourth time I had to lay out my suitcase on the sidewalk, open it up and pull something out of it.

Living out of a suitcase in the public streets of Barcelona will make you feel homeless.


In between eating oranges and living out of suitcases, we stumbled on an amazing Dali gallery. Jeremy and I had a lot of fun there, and Jeremy was able to take a ton of pictures. Seriously this Dali gallery and the Picasso museum we would visit on Sunday were the highlights of the trip.



Now we had applied to several people on couchsurfing.org the week prior hoping to find a local to host us during our visit. One of them replied to my email on Friday morning and I was able to read it while in the hostel, where I had wifi.

But we needed to keep checking the email to find out how to get to his place, so most of the day, aside from sight seeing was spent searching for wifi.

Which in Spain is pronounced "whiffy"

Sooooooo

"Whiffy aqui?"
and

"Donde esta el whiffy?"

became frequent utterances.


While we were hunting for a place with free wifi, we were approached by many beggars.

According to Jeremy it isn't just common in Barcelona, but also in Salamanca. Basically older women approach you and beg for money. But they're picky about who they approach, preying on tourists, *ahem* AMERICAN tourists.

That's one thing about being American in Europe, you find out that you're a target for a lot of things. Petty crime, short-changing, begging.....we have a reputation for being gullible.

Anyway, Jeremy and I went to a juice stand and while we were picking out juices a woman approached me and kept asking me for money. Now I frequently give money to anybody who asks for it. Seriously I give out money a lot to panhandlers. My philosophy is that if I'm well enough off to not be begging for money I can spare a dollar for somebody who isn't. However, this woman (amongst the other Barcelona beggars) just seemed so full of shit.


There was something fishy about her, and I wasn't comfortable giving her money. I politely said no to her but she wouldn't stop asking me.

Now....as I mentioned earlier I don't speak spanish. I wanted to say something like "I have nothing" to this woman.....what came out was
"de nada"


yeah....I said "it's nothing" or the spanish equivalent of "you're welcome" to a woman asking me for money.

I immediately realized how wrong this was and quickly walked away with Jeremy, who rubbed in just how awful that was.


Yeah I'm a bad person....don't worry, I paid for it later.


So after finding some whiffy we were able to get the address of the couch we would be sleeping on.

We decided to walk there but kept getting incredibly arbitrary directions from tourists. Eventually we settled on a cab and thank god we did because we were about a 10 minute ride down a bunch of side streets away from our destination. Basically we would've never found it.


By this point we're both exhausted, having been up all day, walking around Barca with our luggage, we just wanted to have a couch. But when we got there we intercommed up to the room and nobody answered.

Jeremy felt defeated but I reassured him.
"Don't worry" I said, " I have an idea"

and then i proceeded to call up to every single apartment on the intercom.

I felt like Elf when he gets in the elevator for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH3oNBnEqu8

a bunch of people responded, in spanish.


Yeah I didn't really think that one through.

I kind of just stuttered some "hola"s and then explained that we were looking for a friend but didn't know his number....basically nobody understood.

and then a woman called down to us and we could hear a loud baby crying.

The woman sounded very stressed.

Jeremy looked at me like "what did you do?!"



yeah.....once again, I'm a bad person.


we admitted defeat and went and sat on a bench down the street. 10 minutes later we decided to go back up and try again.

SUCCESS!!!

V's roommate Maika answered!

We went up and she greeted us, as we entered her living room my eyes immediately went to the couch.

Now this section of my blog is not for the faint of heart.

There, on the couch, was a dildo.

yep, that's right.

A DILDO.

Maikai noticed it and smoothly picked it up and put it on the end table behind some other junk, assuming we didn't see it.

Oh, we saw it Maikai. It's hard to not notice a fucking dildo on a couch when you're COUCHSURFING.


Anyway, our host V was out and about so Maikai hosted us. She was really cool and easy to talk to, we discussed films and music. After a while V arrived. Now V is short for Viviar, which is pronounced like "BBR" so I'm just calling him V.


V was a cool guy. He was in his late 20's, working on his PHD in Philosophy. He earns money translating stuff between English, French and Spanish. He was very smart and a little pretentious. But mostly pretty cool.

He took us out to get tapas, which are basically spanish appetizers. In Spain, everyone eats tapas like all the time though. They don't go out to bars without ordering tapas. Jeremy even went on a tapas tour back in Salamanca.

I can see why, they were excellent!

And so easily vegan.

It felt great being in southern Europe where the food actually has flavor, quite a contrast to northern Europe. As one of Maikai's friends would tell me on Sunday, Northern Europe is not known for it's food.

So true, English and Irish food is the worst. Soooo boring.

Well after the tapas we went back and Jeremy and I went to sleep.

Now I bet you're thinking, "hey chelsea, we want some more pictures."

Don't fret dear readers, there are tons of pictures, including one of our sleeping quarters. In fact there are 450 pictures, which can be found HERE, on Jeremy's photobucket. Definitely worth looking at, we saw a lot of cool stuff.

But obviously I cannot put all 450 pictures in this post.

So our sleeping situation was grim at best. We had to share a mummy sleeping bag, so we were both pretty cold.
(For those of you unfamiliar with mummy sleeping bags, they're a type of sleeping bag which is form fitting, meaning it's very slim in the feet. This is different than a regular sleeping bag which is the same width at the bottom as it is at the top.)

So really it was only wide enough at the bottom to cover one set of feet, and divided between two sets it didn't cover any feet.


yeah it kinda sucked. but hey it was free.

This concludes Part 1 of my Barcelona trip. Like I said above, please check out Jeremy's photobucket, these pictures don't even began to capture the epicness of our first day. But to avoid confusion I recommend stopping when you get to this picture below, I'll explain the later photos in my next post.





^our sleeping arrangements. For fun, let's play "Can you spot the dildo?"

2 comments:

  1. I'll drop the surliness for once... I'm sad I wasn't there with you guys! The experience sounds awesome. Also, your blogging abilities have improved; this post is a masterpiece on so many levels. So, that said, don't make me wait another month.

    P.S. Found it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. is it bright orange and still easily visible? lmao I can't believe she answered and had you guys come up without thinking of hiding that.

    -sara

    ReplyDelete